[TechAssist] Re: Emerson EWC27T3 defies me!

  • From: Paul <dntwntv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 14:13:01 -0700 (PDT)

Ty, does this happen only when the tape has been run to the end, or will it act
up if you stop it and eject? If it only happens when the tape rewinds from the
end, how much of the tape is left out? It has to get at least to the leader to
shut off. I assume you have tried more than one tape. If there is tape left out
it sounds like  the capstan or the mode sw is where to look. System control
mcros are very seldom  bad, but it does happen. Might try hot and cold on the
board.  Intermittent's are the most frustrating problems to deal with.
Especially when they are so infrequent.         Paul
Ty <ty1k@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: Dear Tech Assist members,
This Emerson EWC27T3 (2 weeks out of warranty) is driving me nuts.
The tape transport (VCR) fails to take the tape into the cassette before
final turn off.
On the bench it never fails.
In the chassis and without the cover on it has not failed.
The test I perform is to let a tape play all the way trough, let it rewind
and shut down.
I press eject, it ejects ok, but randomly the tape is not pulled into the
cassette although the loading arms are retracted.
In other words, the capstan motor fails to turn on, or a brake fails to
disengage and allow the tape to be pulled in.
I have spent hours attempting to find a broken trace.
Resoldered almost the whole board.
Checked and cleaned the position censor switch, which was not dirty.
Checked all mechanical components for cracks, burrs, hanging up.
Ran the transport through its functions manually.
Ran it in almost complete darkness, thinking that the additional light might
be biasing the sensors. All this, and everything works normally.
Put the cover on, it will run ok 5, 10, 20 times, than it will decide to
fail.
Problem is that recently I was affected by Kryptonite and my X-ray vision
failed.

Ty

Tiberius Kraemer
BLUE STAR ELECTRONICS