[TechAssist] Re: Do you leave your computers on all night?

  • From: "J Silverman" <greentron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 14:08:33 -0500

Dont leave any of mine on. Some people use them to receive faxes or permit
remote access and have to leave them on. This leaving them on thing got
started when businesses found that sometimes they could not boot up because
the hard drive would not start spinning or because the drive media was
damaged and then they were in big trouble. Hard drive design is much
improved and now the startup and media damage problem is a rare thing.
Anyway the U.S. govt decided too much energy was being wasted with computers
left on all the time and mandated that energy management be a part of all
computers. So far it is optional that the energy management be enabled but
eventually it will be mandatory, so the hard drive will shut down anyway if
not in use.
Jerry Silverman
Greentron Inc
4 Newland Ave