[TechAssist] Re: DO NOT delete a program called SIDE FIND from your computer.

  • From: Bil Green <tv.vcrrepair@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Kevin's TV Repair <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 19:03:35 -0700

Hi Kevin,

There are many recovery programs which can recover data even after
formatting. If you start writing to the formatted partition it will
be impossible to recover any data that is written over, so don't
use this partition until you copy it to another drive. Use the
second drive for recovery.

Then use GetDataBack, or PC Inspector File Recovery 3.0 (totally
free) to recover what you can. Both of these have very high user
ratings at CNET.

You almost NEVER have to format a drive to get it going again. You
likely had a corrupted Master Boot Record (MBR) which can usually
be repaired by using the proper software (such as the free trial
version of ResQdisk). I've used ResQdisk several times, and it
works like magic (not very user friendly though).

Also, you could have easily recovered all or most of the data if
you did that first.

It's really too bad that almost no one knows about all this. Lot of
unhappy people out there.

Bil

PC 1000
Mammoth Lakes, CA
760-924-1000
M-Pulse 5000 magnetic pulse generator
http://www.heal-me.com.au/m-pulse5000.htm

KsTR> I recently lost my hard drive by uninstalling a program called SIDE
KsTR> FIND.  It had aggressively installed itself on to my computer, and when
KsTR> I went to uninstall it, it corrupted my hard drive.  I later found out
KsTR> that other people had the same problems with this horrible program.  The
KsTR> only way to fix the drive was to save what I could to partition D, and
KsTR> format drive C.  Of course I did not have a back of my hard drive, so I
KsTR> lost all my old emails (roughly 5000 emails, mostly fixes from all you
KsTR> technicians on this fine forum).  Is there anyway I can get them back
KsTR> from one of you?  Thanks.

KsTR> By the way I learned 2 things from this:  1) Always back up your hard
KsTR> drive, and 2) Do a search on the internet before removing ANY program.
KsTR> I have deleted many programs before that just appeared on my computer,
KsTR> and never had any problems, until now.

KsTR> I have now upgraded from Windows 98SE to XP Pro and am much happier
KsTR> (except for the lost emails).  Live and learn.

KsTR> Kevin Wilks
KsTR> Kevin's TV Repair
KsTR> Penticton BC Canada
KsTR> kevintv@xxxxxxx