[TechAssist] Re: Computer question: unnecessary files

  • From: "Dave Huston" <HustonTV@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 13:06:17 -0500

Hi Bill,

First of all, don't remove anything you're not familiar with. Secondly you
can remove any programs you recognize but no longer use, such as old games
etc.
You can sort your programs by "last used" in the pop-up window to get an
idea what to remove.
If you're not sure if you'll need a program in the future, be sure you have
the install disk available before removing.
You can also get rid of some trash safely by doing a disk cleanup. Right
click on the "C" drive in "My Computer". You'll see the button.
And of course you'll want to defragment the "C" drive occasionally.
HTH,

Dave Huston
Huston TV & Electronics
2846 Marion-Cardington Rd.E.