[TechAssist] Re: Computer problem

  • From: "Jerome Silverman" <greentron@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 12:46:23 -0400

98 works fine for me on the computers here at work so I stick with it.
Computer at home is a Gateway that came with ME. There were a number of
problems with that operating system that the restore CD could not fix.
Upgraded that computer to XP. Works pretty good but did have a problem once
that reinstalling did not fix and we had to format and install.
I thought I might be having a hard drive or operating system problem with
one of the computers here at work because it would not boot or booted with
errors unless the power had been on for a long time. Then it was OK. Finally
refused to boot at all and I tore it apart to see if it was anything fixable
and found several rupured 1500 ufd, 6 volt caps on the motherboard. Replaced
those and a few of same value that had not ruptured yet and the computer
works but but something is wrong now with the communications, either
software or hardware. Its only a 400 MHz motherboard so I decided to get the
$99 deal from tigerdirect.com on a 850 MHz barebone kit. All I have to do is
transfer my hard drive and floppy and plug in 256 MB of PC2100 memory, about
$25 (the old memory wont do).
Jerry Silverman
Greentron Inc
4 Newland Ave Greenville SC 29609