[TechAssist] Re: Compaq 7400 computer setup

  • From: "OrpheusComputing.com Repair" <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 02:03:45 -0500

Sorry for the delay.  Good thing I went to the archives to
see if you replied (I put my address on vacation status a
lot, so I never got this).

Is the OS Windows ME or Windows 2000?  You need to look on
the mobo for a model #.  It is usually silk screened
somewhere on the board, around the CPU or chipset, or
sometimes by the last (PCI or ISA slot) whichever is last.
Sometimes it can be a sticker, and the sticker can
occasionally be on the last slot (PCI or ISA, whichever is
last).

You didn't mention if the HD is being SEEN properly in the
'auto detect' area.  This would dictate how you proceed from
this point on.

Never use the name brand 'restore' OS disk.  You need a OEM
full version of your OS.  The exception would be if the CD
that came with it has drivers for YOUR computer.  Then you
must use it unless you can find drivers for the other cards
you are using.  This is easy to do unless something is
integrated (on board audio, modem, video, etc).  VIA chipset
boards need drivers just for the chipset.  You can get the
chipset drivers from http://www.via.com.tw/en/index/index.jsp
I don't know which VIA chipset this board uses, or I'd look
for you.  If it has an AGP slot, you also need the VIA
drivers for it.

Like I mentioned, you should not use the EZ Install (unless
the HD Is not seen correctly in the BIOS).  You must go to
'advanced installation' in the menu.
>Always go to 'advanced disk
> setup' (IBM, Maxtor, Western Digital, et al, have this
>area) and set the HD up from there, and it WILL see
>the HD correctly and set it up correctly IF, IF, your
>mobo's BIOS can support it.

This would depend on the board's BIOS brand and year.

No point in going further until we know if the HD is
recognized properly in the 'auto detect' area.  Let me know
what it does there then I can tell you how to proceed (that
is if you haven't already got all this fixed by now :)
(Also please email this to me personally).
-Clint

God Bless Us All
Clint Hamilton, Owner
http://OrpheusComputing.com ©
http://Computer-Hardware-Sales-Consumer-Electronics-Sales.com
sales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Fax: 775-254-3030
4orpheus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  (alternates)
orpheuscomputing@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(PLEASE include our previous correspondence
if replying to this email!!)

From: Larry <schntv@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Thank you Clint,
this is a compaq 7478 using windows ME 2000.
HD is Maxtor diamond 5400 , 80 gig.
mb is Camaro,  VIA chip set.
cant find a bios like most computers.
just says auto detect.
we have a compaq boot able CD, with advanced setup, but
didn't
seem to help.
we tried the maxtor easy cd install and compaq disk un-does
it
when we try to install the programs.
now tried to f-dish, and it says no patricians, even though 2
are their, and formats to 12 gig.
any help appreciated,
Larry

"techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" wrote:

> Larry, need a bit more info......what is the brand and
model
> # of the motherboard and brand/model # of the hard drive?
> What OS are you using?  When you go to 'auto detect hard
> drives' in the BIOS is it seen properly there?
>
> Depending on the model # of the board, you could look for a
> BIOS upgrade for it if the HD is NOT seen correctly in the
> area I mentioned above.  IF it IS seen correctly, your BIOS
> is fine.  Depending on the brand of the HD, their
proprietary
> setup floppies are defective.  In many if not most cases,
> they will tell you your mobo doesn't support a particular
HD
> when they DO.  Again, depending on the brand of HD, and if
> you're using their floppy to install/format it, never go to
> the quick installation area.  Always go to 'advanced disk
> setup' (IBM, Maxtor, Western Digital, et al, have this
area)
> and set the HD up from there, and it WILL see the HD
> correctly and set it up correctly IF, IF, your mobo's BIOS
> can support it.
>
> If the HD is NOT seen correctly in 'auto detect hard
drives',
> you need to get the model# of the mobo, then go to THEIR
> website and not Compaq's to see if there is a Bios update.
> In most cases you can do this IF the mobo is an OEM version
> of a retailer's board.  In some cases, the boards are of
> proprietary nature and you can only use a Compaq BIOS
update
> (I would have to see the board to be able to tell for sure
if
> the board's manufacturer BIOS update would work).
>
> If your mobo WILL see a HD that large, Win95 won't see a HD
> that large and I don't think win98 can either.  I Can't
find
> the info on that now, 98 MIGHT but I seem to remember it
does
> not.  If this is the OS you are using, you are going to
have
> to partition it to be able to use it, or else use a
> controller card.  I recommend against using any "EZ BIOS"
> (used by Maxtor, IBM, WD, etc.) unless you absolutely must
> because that can slow boot times down a good bit.  Like I
> mentioned above, they will tell you that you MUST use it
even
> when you don't, this is why you need to go into the
> disk installation area.
>
> You can also use FDISK to create some non default cluster
> sizes and this might enable you to use the entire 80gb
> partition in older OS'.  Be sure you are formatting using
> FAT32 and use LBA.  Of course if you are using win95A, you
> can't do this.  I believe 95B has FAT32 support.
>
> Without knowing more about your OS and other info asked
> above, I can't give you anymore exact information.
> -Clint
>
> God Bless Us All
> Clint Hamilton, Owner
> http://OrpheusComputing.com ©

http://Computer-Hardware-Sales-Consumer-Electronics-Sales.com
> sales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Fax: 775-254-3030
> TechAssist Administration
> http://tech-assist.org
> info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> 4orpheus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  (alternates)
> orpheuscomputing@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> (PLEASE include our previous correspondence
> if replying to this email!!)

know
> how to follow
> directions.As for the 80g drive,use EZBIOS if you must,Yes
> you can fool
> them.
> Mark Simpson
> Mark Electronics
> 104 E. Dr. M.L.K. Jr,Blvd
> Plant City,FL 33566
> (813)717-9700
> res050hb@xxxxxxx

Leo
> Laporte
> > basically said the same thing about Compaq's service not
> being up to par
> > and that he recommends Dell.
> >

> > Gary McCartney
> >
> > McCartney Electronics
> > 7134 Fife Rd, RR 7
> > Guelph Ontario Canada N1H 6J4
> > Fax: (519)821-1530
> > email: number63@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >

> > "David J. Williams" wrote:
> > >
> > > I agree, i have a compaq laptop, that i use for the
> Direcway Satellite
> > > Internet installations, and it messed up, it is only 3
> years old.
> Compaq
> > > wouldn't help me out, and one of there guys actually
> admitted that if i
> sent
> > > it to a repair facility (Radio Shack) That they would
> automatically say
> it
> > > isn't worth repair.  And compaq's Factory service
> facility, only works
> on
> > > them in warranty.  Compaq is not going to get another
> dime from me.  I
> just
> > > recently ordered a Dell, i have heard good things about
> them, We will
> see!!
> > >
> > > David
> > > Northway T.V.