[TechAssist] Re: Can't Access Drives (4 partition Windows system)

  • From: Scott Beebe <Scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bil Green <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 14:06:06 -0500

Hello Bil,

I always have been told that you only want 1 anti-virus, and 1 firewall running
at one time. uninstalling 1 of the 2 AV programs may resolve your problem.
(Just a thought)

 Thanx,

Scott Beebe
Ohm Electronics Inc.
609 W. Clinton St.
Ithaca NY 14850
Voice: (607) 273-8406
Fax: (607) 273-8743
WWW.OhmElectronicsInc.com
mailto:Scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Bil> Hi Jim,

Bil> I have run a couple good anti-virus programs, and there doesn't
Bil> seem to be any viruses on my system.

Bil> I am quite sure that uninstalling RestorIt caused this problem,
Bil> since during the install it created a special partition, and
Bil> installs a program in the boot sector also (for dealing with
Bil> restore points if you can't boot up to Windows).

Bil> I have another backup of my Windows 2000, when RestoreIt was
Bil> still installed.

Bil> I am thinking about using this to replace my current 2000 and
Bil> then try to uninstall RestoreIt again (although there won't be
Bil> the partition or boot sector program for it to remove - what
Bil> problems will this cause?).

Bil> With my MBR backed up to a few floppies (and all files backed up)
Bil> I figure I can always get back to where I am now.

Bil> Yes, I did a Repair install of Windows 2000. Like every other
Bil> major thing I tried things seemed OK for a while, and then the
Bil> same old thing.

Bil> Bil

Bil> PC 1000
Bil> M-Pulse 5000 magnetic pulse generator
Bil> http://magpulser.com
Bil> Mammoth Lakes, CA
Bil> 760-924-1000

Bil> mailto:magpulser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

b>> Got a virus scanner?
b>> Weird things like this can also happen with defective software and/or
b>> drivers also.
b>> I had a bad burner software package shutdown any access to the "my
b>> computer" tree because a minor crash would occur
b>> due the drive with the bad software was being queried. I Removed the
b>> offending package and all was well.

b>> Thats just one example of software strangeness. Think of what was
b>> recently installed that might have contributed to the problem.
b>> Conversely, the Unistall process may have gone badly. Did you try a non
b>> destructive system restore?

b>> Jim McVey
b>> McVey Alltronix
b>> 327 Broadway