[TechAssist] Re: CTC177AA2/3 Need menu access for max. volume.

  • From: Ralph Dorsey <Merlin-Wizard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 02:49:35 -0600

although these "tricks might work", your not fixing the real
problem,,,it starts with the turner grounds going intermittent, then the
eeprom becomes corrupted. Even though changing the eeporm might be
intimidating to some , it's the correct repair. If the sound part of the
eeprom is corrupted, you can bet that other critical values have also.
Do the right thing and use the chipper checker. In the instructions it
gives a layout for the clip needed for the  ctc177/187. You need to make
this so you can reinitialize the eeprom and reset those areas of the
chip you can't get to with the service menu. Once you make and learn how
to use this, it only takes about a minute to do that. ( of course you
still need to solder up the tuner  and chassis)