[TechAssist] Re: CRT coolant??

  • From: "Leonard G. Caillouet" <lcaillo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 10:20:08 -0400

There is nothing really special about the coolant.  It is a mix of glycerine
and ethylene glycol.  The ethylene glycol works as a coolant and the
glycerine aids in optical coupling and release of bubbles.  Most suppliers
sell it much cheaper than you can buy from the OEM.  I doubt that you would
find such a mixture at an auto parts dealer.  As for the RTV sealer, I have
used it and never have a problem.  Just use a very thin layer so that the
original gasket is assisted by the sealant and let is dry thoroughly before
filling with coolant.  The acid  released when the sealant cures might
interact with the coolant, but I doubt it.  I just don't like to take
chances.  After the sealant cures thoroughly it no longer releases
significant acid.

While I generally agree with the recommendations to use OEM parts &
supplies, I also believe that a good understanding of the materials and
functional properties of the parts used often results in the ability to save
time, increase profits, and assure a better repair.  I am confident that my
jobs where I reused a good gasket and used RTV sealant provides a better
seal than would result with a new gasket and no sealant.  Of course, if the
gasket is damaged in any way, I would replace it...

Leonard G. Caillouet
Service Manager
Electronics World
Gainesville, FL