[TechAssist] Re: Boards Remanufacturing Companies like PTS

  • From: "Technotronic Dimensions" <Steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 15:09:16 -0500

The problem alot of the Rebuilders Encounter are because some 'Techs" Will
at times do more damage than the original problem was causing in their
'repair work'.
Take a Lightning Strike case for example. Most rebuilders will NECO (Not
Economical to Repair) this type of Failure...and due to the lack of skill
that some Techs out there have, pretty much anything they lay their hands on
will be a "lightning strike" case anyway. So after they realize the problem
is getting worse and worse as they work on it, they turn to these Rebuilders
to bail them out. Naturally, they NECO the board because they are in
business mainly to fix  typical Run of the Mill Factory and Time type
failures. So what happens is they get a bad Rap from the "Tech" in he end,
and Im not so sure thats all too fair.

I have read about one shop who was swapping boards, and apparetly got brain
lock at one point. His Solution? Send it to PTS. Not just the one board but
both of them together. Well, PTS Fixed one board, and Functional checked the
other board as ok , but charged him anyway for the time spent to functional
check the good board. He complained about that and said he already knew that
board was ok - so why send it in? So this is the kind of Stuff you will see
if you were rebuilding boards like these places do. Sometimes the 'Customer'
turns out to be a real problem in that respect.

In all the years doing Business, I have only dealt with PTS about 2 times,
and so far the product has been ok.

Steve Hearns
Technotronic Dimensions, NY (USA)
1-877-817-9885 (Voice / Fax US Only)