[TechAssist] Re: Any recomendations on peak-reading voltmeters

I have a Simpson 467, a Fluke 87, and a Fluke 87 III.

The Simpson is a good meter.  3.5 digits, you can select + or - peak hold.
True RMS.  It does not "go to sleep" if you leave it on, it will just use
your battery up.

The Fluke 87 has a decent frequency response and can capture a 100mS peak,
again, true RMS.
The 87III has a selectable 100mS/1mS capture, frequency response to about
100KHz.

The Simpson is easier to reset after a capture.  I get irratated at the
Fluke, having to go thru multiple steps to make a capture, but the Simpson
will uses more batteries.

The Simpson or the Fluke 87 you would have to find used.  Fluke is now on 87
IV, although you might find a series 3 new.

I use the Fluke 87III more often than the Simpson because of the
sleep/battery save feature.

You might consider a computer digital storage o'scope (DSO) card, as they
are in the price range of the Fluke.  I have a Tektronix DSO and love it.  A
60MHz DSO has no trouble capturing peaks.

Wayne Vanaman
Omega Electronics
6904 W Fairfield Dr
Pensacola, Fl.  32506-3310