[TechAssist] Annoucement!!

  • From: "Staff-TechAssist" <staff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 23:55:33 -0500

Members,
Please read below, do not just delete this post, PLEASE read
it.

2.  OFF TOPIC (OT) POSTS: For example,
     THANK YOU's, PASSWORD QUESTIONS,
     "TEST" EMAILS, REMOVAL, etc:  Since this
     is now such a high traffic list, we're sorry but can no
     longer tolerate off topic posts!  We have members
     leave almost everyday due to receiving too many
     emails.  They all complain that there are too many
     OT posts, too many *thank you's* and too many
     emails regarding list operation or passwords
     posted to the list.  The administration is ALL FOR
     humor, and thanking fellow members for help, so
     PLEASE continue to do this, but unfortunately, it
     CANNOT be done ON list!  Please DO NOT post
     these type of emails to the list.  Send the thank
     you's (i.e. "thanks, I'll try that", etc.) privately to
     the individual's email address and not to the list.

     If you have nothing to contribute to a post, please
     DO NOT reply to it.  By ONLY posting to the list
     emails that help ALL members, ONLY posting
     emails that are ON TOPIC and not off topic, and
     NOT deleting the previous emails on a thread, can
     we keep & insure that all emails posted to the list
     will be of use to ALL of our valued members.  To
     sum it up; just use your head guys!  :)  THINK
     BEFORE you "reply", just simply ask yourself,
     "will this reply make sense"?  And, "will this reply
     be of benefit to ALL members"?  Remember,
     your posts and replies to posts are now being
     seen by over 900 members worldwide!!  Don't
     forget we have a chat list just for OT posts!
     (See #7 in FAQ's below).

3.  [Edited]
     Please SIGN YOUR NAME and BUSINESS NAMES to
     your posts!!  Tech's like to know to whom they are
     replying.  Easiest way to do this is to just create a
     signature file.  All email programs are capable of this.

     [Edited] .........................In addition, please do
     not remove the previous header information from the
     email thread.  This means, when you reply to a post,
     please do NOT remove the email address and name
     from the email for the member you are replying to.
     When this is done, members have no way of knowing
     who sent the original post (or the last email in an
     ongoing thread) or how to respond to them if a private
     email is warranted.

Also to a lesser extent:

1.  Please include ALL PREVIOUS TEXT of an email thread
     when you reply to a post.  A reply without the original
     post is useless and is like listening to a one-sided
     telephone conversation.  This means the original post,
     and ALL replies (if more than one) that have been sent
     to a specific post (known as the 'thread').  In short,
     just click "reply" and BE SURE ALL OF THE TEXT is in
     YOUR REPLY that was in the post you are replying to.
     This way, ALL members can read any reply to post
     and get an immediate history of all replies up to that
     point, as well as the original problem.
     (See #5 in FAQ's below).

Thank you for your attention to these matters,
TechAssist Administration
http://tech-assist.org
info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx