[TechAssist] ATC113 RCA: status

  • From: tjanphyl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 16:44:46 -0400

I re-read the troubleshooting info from RCA, took a few scope
measurements on the ribbon cable of the Gemstar. There were two
missing DC voltages and two missing waveforms that the guide says
means bad Gemstar module. I quoted the guy for my time and parts. With
tax it came close to $300.00 for this 36" behemoth. he thought that
was excessively expensive, as he was "told by several other local
shops here" when he called around. There is only a few legit shops
here in the county, I know all of them. They wouldn't make a statement
like that not knowing what the diagnosis was as far as technical info
like parts and time. I think he was blowing smoke, or talked to some
Goober Pyles who thinks all you need is a VOM.
So, I await his decision.Mulling it over,will call.
Phil Bader