[TechAssist] Re: 220v: End of Discussion

  • From: "art bevilacqua" <abevilac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 23:44:07 -0500

Perry, you do not have 220 coming into your house. The nominal United
States Standard distribution voltage for single phase power is 120/240
Vac (120 Line to Neutral, 240 Line to Line). Look at the rating on your
breaker panel, or check your copy of the National Electrical Code to
confirm this.

If you measure the voltage with your volt meter, you will likely see
something either less than or greater than 120, the code also specifies
an allowable range that the utility must stay within.

Many other countries use 200 volt range supplies, here is a site that
lists many of them, and gives the types of connectors commonly in use.

http://kropla.com/electric2.htm

If you look back at the original question, the person having the problem
lives in the West Indies. West Indies doesn't appear in the web site
referenced, but given the popularity of 220 Vac around the world, that's
probably what he's got.=20

As far as equipment, many devices are able to handle multiple voltages.
Older equipment, stereos etc, had jumpers to reconfigure the supply
connection to the primary of the power transformer.

Newer stuff with switching supplies can vary their pulse widths to
accommodate the higher input voltages. The limit would be the ratings of
input diodes, caps, etc. but if the manufacture rated his stuff for
100-240, he'd have the world licked.

And sure enough, just for laughs, I've just looked at the five monitors
in my office (1 sceptre, 2 HP's, 1 Panasonic, and 1 NEC) and every one
of them has an input rating of 100-240 Vac, 50/60 Hz, making them
saleable throughout the world.

I hope this will solve the mystery once and for all.

Later, art

Art Bevilacqua
Essex Radio and TV
40 Main Street