[TechAssist] Re: 1994 GMC Van (AC Question)

  • From: "Hoyt's TV" <hoytstv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 13:56:55 -0400

Ed, There should be a pressure switch somewhere in the coolant line, that
opens the circuit to the compressor clutch when there is not enough coolant.
Unplug it and jumper the contacts in the plug. If that gets the compressor
working, look at the sight glass. A steady stream of bubbles indicates a low
charge.
If it uses R12, be prepared for a BIG bill for freon when you get it
recharged. If it's R134A you can get a do it yourself kit and the little
cans are cheap. If it's low enough to trip the pressure switch you will
probably need at least two, maybe three cans.

If it's R12, it's illegal to do it yourself and they don't make the little
cans anymore. The equivalent of what the little cans held, that used to cost
about $1.50 is now selling for about $50 to $60 at a licensed service place.

Russ Hoyt
Hoyt's TV
Exeter, NH