[tech-spec] Re: question about semi-auto report generation

  • From: John Bollinger <bbands@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tech-spec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 09:15:50 -0800

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 10:14:22 -0500, vfulco@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
<vfulco@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear Tech Specs-
>
> Would anyone have a tip on how to mix graphics and associated/extra tabular
> data into one exportable document?  I've figured out how to create PDF/PS/PNG
> files with the charts only.  Going forward, the most likely format I'll be
> using is PDF.
>
> I understand there are a number of powerful languages to manipulate R, namely
> Perl, Python, etc. but they are much further down on the to do list.  I would
> like to get up to speed on a method quickly.
>
> Is Sweave the short term answer?
>
> Thanks for your time.
>
> Vince Fulco

What we use: The combination of GhostScript, a PostScript engine, and
GhostView, a graphical interface to GhostScript, should let you create
just about any pdf you want. These are free, cross-platform tools
available for Windows, Linux and the various flavors of Unix including
Mac OSX.

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/

Add a nice dash of Python and Documents 'R Us.

Old, but still interesting: http://tinyurl.com/458ek

Crossplatformingly yours,

    jab
--
John Bollinger, CFA, CMT
www.BollingerBands.com

If you advance far enough, you arrive at the beginning.