[tech-spec] Re: question about semi-auto report generation

  • From: Gibbons Burke <gibbonsb@xxxxxx>
  • To: tech-spec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 09:35:05 -0600

On Mac OS X there are free programs such as "PDFLab" and "Combine PDFs" which lets you stitch together various and sundry PDF documents into a single PDF document. There may be a similar utility in whatever OS you're using. Otherwise I'm fairly sure Adobe Acrobat would allow you do do something similar. This may be a good starting point...

<http://www.versiontracker.com/php/search.php? mode=basic&action=search&str=pdf&plt%5B%5D=windows&x=15&y=8>

For PNG files Adobe Photoshop/ImageReady are a very capable team for putting together images and boiling them down with optimizations to very small file sizes.

Postscript files can be edited with a simple text editor, but you have to know the language. Ghostscript is the open source tool of choice for playing around with these things.

Hope this helps.

Gibbons

On Mar 1, 2005, at 9:14 AM, vfulco@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Dear Tech Specs-

Would anyone have a tip on how to mix graphics and associated/extra tabular data into one exportable document? I've figured out how to create PDF/PS/PNG files with the charts only. Going forward, the most likely format I'll be using is PDF.

I understand there are a number of powerful languages to manipulate R, namely Perl, Python, etc. but they are much further down on the to do list. I would like to get up to speed on a method quickly.

Is Sweave the short term answer?

Thanks for your time.

Vince Fulco