[tech-spec] Re: Yahoo! quotes

  • From: Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tech-spec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 10:37:34 -0500

On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 11:25:53AM -0400, Steve Wisdom wrote:
> --
> Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd@xxxxxxxxxx> :
>
> > library(its)     # its is a most useful package
>
> Recent posts on R-help [or variants thereof] left me with the
> impression that library(its) is 'useful but no longer maintained' and
> library(zoo) is emerging as the next great thing
>
> Anyone have a more cogent comment on this?

I have some limited behind-the-scenes info. The author of its is no longer
with the corp holding the copyright, and there is some friction.  More
recently someone (from a big US player) has offered to maintain its. That
would be a good thing indeed -- I haven't heard if that is in fact
"official".  The its code is to useful to die, and being GPL it shouldn't
have to anyway ...

I have yet to really look at zoo, having been a fairly longtime its user.

> And many thanks to Dirk for last few posts, very helpful

Pleasure -- I quite liked your compact correlation example code but still
haven't had time to play with it.

Dirk

--
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
                                                -- Groucho Marx