[tech-spec] Tinn-R

  • From: Steve Wisdom <swisdom@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tech-spec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 13:28:56 -0400

--
My last-ever post on editing R scripts

While stipulating that Emacs is in all respects bigger better faster,
and indeed is an environment in which one could spend nearly 100% of
one's time at the computer, let me mention that I just installed,
tried and like Tinn-R on W*****s XP, mentioned on R-help recently and
new to me.  To my taste it's as useful as R-WinEdt and is free as in
beer.  I can see myself using it extensively, at least based on 30
minutes of testing, and will recommend it around Chair's office

There's no ''install''; it's just a single exe file.  If it detects an
active instance of R-GUI, an R related menu automagically appears in
Tinn

http://www.sciviews.org/Tinn-R/

Features, per the website :

Tinn supports customizable syntax highlighting for HTML, CSS, PHP,
A*P, A*P.N*T, Perl, C/C++, Java, JavaScript, V******t, SQL and XML by
default.
Enhanced Multiple Document Interface by using a tab page
Grep-like filter of an open file
Split screen viewing of files
RegEx search and replace
Line numbers
Column selection
Multiple undo/redo
Visible display of tabs and spaces
Auto-indent
Bookmarking capabilities
Formatting commands for case changing
Files of nearly any size, you got the RAM, Tinn will use it
Simple Macro support
Simple print preview with highlighting
Tweak the editor's colors and settings
Block indent with Tab, unindent block with Shift+Tab
Bracket matching
Drag and Drop multiple files for editing
Drag and Drop edit
Command line support for multiple files
Search in open files or in a directory
Highlights opening and closing brackets
I use ini files for all settings, no registry keys to mess with!