[tech-spec] Re: R editor

  • From: Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tech-spec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 13:13:18 -0500

John,

Let me know if I get to obnoxious but I can't resists pointing out that

On Mon, Oct 11, 2004 at 10:19:07AM -0700, BBands wrote:
> I was hoping for a cross-platform solution. In my research I have noticed

a) XEmacs fits that bill.

> that a couple of the potential solutions also provide Python editing
> facilities and as Python is my modeling language of choice I am thinking of
> heading in that direction.

b) XEmacs fits that bill

> Dirk suggests that I reconsider joining the church of emacs and I reply that
> membership is effectively limited to full-time coders due to the complexity

c) XEmacs fits that bill

[ Case in point is my wife who uses XEmacs essentially only as an editor for
  State (covered by ESS, just as R is) and LaTeX (covered by the AucTeX mode).
  She doesn't use more than two or three keyboard shortcuts, and otherwise
  just operates using the mouse and menus. XEmasc does work 'incrementally',
  you do not do learn "all" it once. I guess I only use 10% of what I could
  use. ]

> of the program and the steepness of the learning curve.
>
> Finally, CVS support would be another neat feature of the right package.

d) XEmacs fits that bill  (Tools->VC-> menu entries)

I'll try to stay off the soap box now as I also find the quasi-religeous
insistance painful, but as I said, this one I do believe in, and see all the
relevant facts support it.

Happy Columbus & Canuck Thanksgiving day,

Dirk

--
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
                                                -- Groucho Marx