[tech-spec] Re: R editor

  • From: Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tech-spec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 15:26:39 -0500

On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 11:24:40AM -0700, BBands wrote:
> It would be nice to have an editor for R scripts. I note that there is a
> plethora of these listed on the R site and elsewhere. Any experience,
> recommendations, etc. to help me cut to the chase appreciated. (I am not
> interested in joining the Church of Emacs.)

Rethink it, you really should. ESS is fantastic for R, and in general, Emacs
modes make Python easier too, as they do for a gazillion other programming
languages, formats, ssh session, sql db sessions, shell session, directory
work a la Norton Commander etc pp. It is also pretty much OS independent, ie
it allows me to forget that I have to work with win2k at work.

Not to start a religious war, but this one of the few things I hold dear
when it comes to computing.

Dirk
who was too busy getting R 2.0.0 into Debian to play with the vol study

--
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
                                                -- Groucho Marx