[tech-spec] Re: R editor

  • From: Tom McCubbin <tmccubbin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tech-spec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 13:21:53 -0400

Regarding CVS integration, Python editing and a robust IDE that is
point-and-click friendly, the IBM backed Eclipse project is (probably)
the best, mature tool.  And it supports Pyhon using the PyDev addin,
which you can point-and-click add.   It runs on everything from Windoze,
Linux, MacOS, Solaris, and probably more.
Find more about eclipse here:
http://www.eclipse.org/

There is a decent article here about python on eclipse:
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/os-ecant/?ca=drs-tp2604#resources

Benefits of Python are numerous nowadays, thanks to the Jython project
and the ikvm project.  The first allows java bytecode generation from
your python code, and the last supports running java bytecode in the
dotNet platform.  Finally, gcc's gcj compiler can even cut java bytecode
to binary exe's to squeeze some more performace out of large model runs...

Additionally, for the c++ developers out there, boost.python allows
extremely clean integration/wrapping of c++ binaries into python.  You
can find out more at:
http://www.boost.org/

-tom