[tech-spec] Re: Nested Loops

  • From: "Steve Wisdom" <swis@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tech-spec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 17:06:34 -0500

--
Tom McCubbin [mailto:tmccubbin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] :

> However, as a tool, it provides a rich  set of libraries
> that exist  w/in that framework / grammar.
> To not use those tools is like deciding not to use 'big'
> words because they are complex,

In the 50's crime novels beloved of Tim, there are expressions such as
'tumbled to', meaning 'came to understand', that are now obsolete.  Most R
packages are developed & maintained by a single scientist in academia or
industry, and survive by the thin thread of that person's continued
interest.  Whereas vanilla R will be with us now and forever.  So there's
some risk to relying too heavily on packages

To alter Tom's remarks a bit, it's like deciding not to use 'slang' words
because they come & go

In any case, enough blathering; let's all set to trying out hand at real
world problems, however plain or fancy the approach, in the coming week, and
see if we can reach critical mass for common improvement

SW