[tech-spec] Re: Nested Loops

  • From: Tom McCubbin <tmccubbin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tech-spec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 15:32:07 -0500

BBands wrote:

I find the concept of implicit loops being "better" than explicit loops
disturbing. It is as if somehow using objects to hide procedural details
results in a higher state of coding. In my view it does just the opposite.
When the details are obfuscated  one can lose a core understanding of what
is going on. Faster, cleaner, simpler? Perhaps? Better? Perhaps not?

--jab

R is a language. R is a tool. As a language it supports the grammar of explicit loops.
However, as a tool, it provides a rich set of libraries that exist w/in that framework / grammar.
To not use those tools is like deciding not to use 'big' words because they are complex,
and not easily understood by everyone... obfuscating.

Code is not meant to be understood...that's what comments are for.
( you do comment your code, right ? )