[tech-spec] Re: Breakthrough with R

  • From: Henry Carstens <carstens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tech-spec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 10:59:06 -0800

On Nov 12, 2004, at 7:30 AM, BBands wrote:

Perhaps our resident "Wiz"ard might demonstrate a simple test--maybe
something like sell the next day's open if today is an outside day with a
higher close--and the appropriate statistics to analyze the results as a way
of getting us going?

FWIW, I think the above is a poor use of R because it can be done so much more quickly in other applications such as TradeStation.

For me, what R is great at is raw and nearly raw data exploration and the search for anomalies and abstractions. I find there are better tools for specific pattern exploration.