[TCUG] Re: The Times article

  • From: "Philip Selvidge" <Philip.Selvidge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 09:39:27 +0100

Can anyone (TfL?) tell us whether it was a pelican, toucan or ped stage
at signals please?

Phil

>>> peter.jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 18/05/2007 09:28 >>>

Phew!!

Whatever the case with the signals, TfL's denial that the signals
contributed to the death of the pedestrian surely must be upheld? Is a
driver entitled to flatten a pedestrian because the signals are green?

Green means proceed IF safe to do so, not regardless of the
consequences.  The problem is, this could turn into a landmark case;
any
incident at a junction with a ped facility is likely to be scrutinised
in light of this.

I suspect I will be re-assessing many of our config's in the near
future.

I cannot understand the attitude of the police in suggesting it was
her
own fault, it appears to allow for this notion that Barristers tend to
portray that we 'happen along when something happened out of the
blue',
well I'm sorry but when you are responsible for over a tonne of metal,
you should NOT be 'happening along'! The coach driver should be
prosecuted for causing death by dangerous driving, in my opinion.

Peter

Peter Jones
Principal Traffic Systems Engineer

Phone: +44 (0) 151 934 4254
Fax:     +44 (0) 151 922 4514

Sefton MBC - UTC
7th Floor
Balliol House
Balliol Road
Bootle
L20 3NJ

>>> "Treen, Sean" <Sean.Treen@xxxxxxxxxx> 18/05/2007 08:32 >>>
An interesting read this Friday morning!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article1805664.ece

Sean Treen

Senior Engineer (Traffic Systems)

Bedfordshire Highways

Woodlands Annex
Manton Lane
Bedford
MK41 7NU

Direct telephone: 0845 3656138

Mobile: 07725 445805

Fax: 0845 3656001

COMPANY PARTICULARS: For particulars of companies within the Amey
Group, please visit http://www.amey.co.uk/assets/asset_370.doc
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email message and accompanying data are
for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain
information that is confidential. If you are not the intended
recipient,
you are notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or copying
of
this message or data is prohibited. If you received this email message
in error, please notify us immediately and erase all copies of this
message and attachments.
Please note that Amey monitors incoming and outgoing mail for
compliance with its Email Policy. This includes scanning emails for
computer viruses.

<>This message is intended for named addressees only and may contain
confidential,
privileged or commercially sensitive information. If you are not a
named
addressee
and this message has come to you in error you must not copy,
distribute
or take any action
on its content. Please return the message to the sender by replying to
it immediately
and then delete it from your computer and destroy any copies of it.

This message does not create or vary any contractual relationship
between Sefton
Metropolitan Borough Council and you.

Internet e-mail is not a 100% secure communication medium and Sefton
Metropolitan
Borough Council does not accept responsibility for changes made to
this
message
after it was sent.

Whilst all reasonable care has been taken to ensure that this message
is
virus-free,
it is the recipient's responsibility to carry out virus checks as
appropriate and ensure
that the onward transmission, opening or use of this message and any
attachments will not
adversely affect their systems or data. Sefton Metropolitan Borough
Council does not
accept any responsibility in this regard."