[TCUG] Re: SRL Traffic Systems 'PEDLIGHT'

TSRGD diagram 4002.1 - far sided display can only be used with 4003 -
standard ped button with illuminated wait.
AGD buttons conform with diagram 4003.1 which can be a single or split
unit, but cannot be used with 4002.1.

All require the correct  white lining to be in place.

Sharon

"Andrew Hancock" <andrew.hancock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>@freelists.org on
19/12/2006 13:40:00

Please respond to tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sent by:    tcug-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

To:    tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc:

Subject:    [TCUG] Re: SRL Traffic Systems 'PEDLIGHT'

This is something we get asked for a lot in Stoke by the public as they
see=
m to
think it is a legal requirement for us to provide a temporary crossing
faci=
lity
at roadworks where a permanent crossing has to be switched off so I did
some
research into it.

This is taken from LTN 1/98 "The Installation of Traffic Signals and
Associ=
ated
Equipment":

8.09   Care should be taken to safeguard pedestrian safety during roadworks
   within the area of the work site and particularly at or near pedestrian
 =20 crossing facilities.     Temporary pedestrian facilities may be
provid=
ed on
    temporary signals as long as the area where pedestrians should cross is
    clearly marked.

This suggests that pedestrian facilities could be used at temporary signals
when working near a pedestrian crossing which has to be switched off.

The actual brochure for the product says that it is fully compliant with
TR=
2503
"Performance Specification for Pedestrian Facilities at
Temporary Stand-alone Traffic Signals". (This=20can be found at the TSS
pla=
ns
registry website: http://www.tssplansregistry.org )

This specification states that the product should comply with TSRGD Diagram
3000, Regulation 33, the signals shall comply with TSRGD Diagram 4002.1,
Regulation 47, and=20the push button shall comply with TSRGD Diagram 4003=
 and
Regulation 47.
The unit uses peak elite signal heads and AGD push button units all of
which
are fully compliant with the TSRGD regulations.

With regards to approval for the product as a whole,=20this comes under the
requirements for Self-Certification set out in TRG 0600 (http://www.
tssplansregistry.org) which allows companies to design, test and self
certi=
fy a
product to a specific Technical Requirements Specification. This
specificat=
ion
also gives regulations that it must be compliant with when using radio
sign=
als.
Again in the brochure this is something that the company states the
equipme=
nt
fully complies with and so I believe the product could legally be placed
on=
 the
highway with no site specific authorisation being required.

The one thing that would be of interest is how drivers react to the
signals.
Drivers tend not to treat temporary signals with the same respect as
perman=
ent
ones and so when they see the other side stop they may drive through the
red
signal which would create a major safety issue.

The information contained within this e-mail (and any attachment) sent by
Birmingham City Council is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is
intended only for the named recipient or entity to whom it is addressed. If you
are not the intended recipient please accept our apologies and notify the
sender immediately, or telephone +(44)(0)121 464 4444. Unauthorised access,
use, disclosure, storage or copying is not permitted and may be unlawful. Any
e-mail including its content may be monitored and used by Birmingham City
Council for reasons of security and for monitoring internal compliance with the
office policy on staff use. E-mail blocking software may also be used. Any
views or opinions presented are solely those of the originator and do not
necessarily represent those of Birmingham City Council. We cannot guarantee
that this message or any attachment is virus free or has not been intercepted
and amended.