[tccrockets] Re: NAR junior level one

  • From: William Kellermann <wtkjd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tccrockets@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 10:51:10 -0700

This is not a legal opinion - members should consult their own counsel for
specific legal advice...  since I am my own counsel, here is my analysis:

To be a High Power Flier, one must be certified.  To be certified, one must be
18.  A Non-High Power flier is a flier that is not certified.  This neither
includes or excludes minors, by definition.  A non high power flier must be
escorted by a high power flier to be in the High Power Launch Area.  So, the
crux of the discussion is what did TRA mean by 'flier.'  Since that term
necessarily implies more than simply watching, until it is clarified, I would
take that to mean a minor can 'fly' when escorted by a High Power Flier.  There
is nothing that suggests any relationship between the High Power Flier and the
Non- High Power Flier so 'father-mother-son-daughter' is irrelevant.  This also
ignores state and local law on the subject which trumps Tripoli, at least in
California.

The above is the basis for me taking my Boy Scout Troop to Mudrock this year
and shanghai'ing some of you to 'escort' service.

For those who are hung up on the 'minor may launch' language, I distinguish
between 'fly' and 'launch' as the distinction between 'loading a rocket on the
pad' and 'pushing the button.'  Since only the LCO always 'launches' a rocket
by definition, it is a distinction with a difference.  Kids can push the button
on a model rocket...

You get what you pay for.  And remember, a man who represents himself has a
fool for a lawyer...