[tcb] Re: t@p pain and jeapordy

  • From: "Denis Dodson" <coocoo@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 20:45:35 -0500

I still want to know if there is a choke on this bus. If there is it could
do all the crap described.

From: Cari Smith <cariandpaul@xxxxxxxxx>
To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tuesday, September 27, 2011, 5:05 PM

Denis,

As far as I know the choke is the flap at the top of the carb right?  Is
there a way to test to see if that's the culprit?

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 6:31 PM, Denis Dodson <coocoo@xxxxxxx
<http://us.mc833.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=coocoo@xxxxxxx> > wrote:

Really. Does it have a choke?

From: tcb-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
<http://us.mc833.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=tcb-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Cari Smith <cariandpaul@xxxxxxxxx
<http://us.mc833.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=cariandpaul@xxxxxxxxx> >
Subject: [tcb] t@p pain and jeapordy
To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
<http://us.mc833.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Monday, September 26, 2011, 5:51 PM

The other Paul Smith and I have worked to get the bus back to road worthy
shape in time for T@P <http://us.mc833.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=T@P> ,
but we are getting down to the wie.  Here's our problem.  We have a fuel/air
mix problem that we can't seem to kick.  Symptoms are a bus that does not
idle correctly and Paul has to 3-foot it at all stops.  That's one on the
clutch, one on the brake, and one on the gas to keep us from stalling. The
first and easiest answer is to adjust the idle.  The screw does nothing and
based on our Muir book, we cleaned the carb.  Now will hold a fairly steady
idle , but it's too low.  When you engage the transmission it dies.  Or when
you rev the throttle, on the way back down to idle it goes too low and dies.
So far we have: cleaned carb with carb cleaner, cleaned air filter, replaced
fuel pump and rod, replace valve cover gasket (unrelated), replaced spark
plugs, checked timing, run compression test... all is good.  The only thing
we havent replaced is points, but  I surely would have thought fouled points
would show up in the compression test.

Any words of wisdom, we're caught between takinging it to a mechanic down
the street for God knows how much moolah, or skipping Transporters
altogether, which really means we would still come in our pontiac and just
camp in a tent.

Help!

Cari smith