[tcb] (no subject)

  • From: Sammie Smith <slsmith@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 May 2005 20:35:51 -0500

OK Bus Guys, I need some ideas.

The short story is that I am trying to remove the torsion bars from a 61
split bus front end that is removed from the bus.  I need the torsion bars
to put in another bus.  I have done this job several times on a type I's
but never on a bus.  Removed the link pins, dropped off the axles, removed
the trailing arms, removed the centering pins from the torsion
housing.  Torsion springs/bars are supposed to slip right out.  No
go.  Tapping with wooden dowel on one end got one about half way out and
the other maybe 1/4 of the way out.  Now they appear to be stuck.  Anyone
got any idea on how to get these things out short of cutting the beam in
pieces.  Which I don't want to do.  Also, I had planned to insert these
into another beam that is on a bus, but if they are this tough to slide in
and out it may have been easier to just switch out the beams.  Anyway, have
performed this operation many times on the type I and their torsion
springs/bars simply slide right out or in.  Figured the busses would also.
Sammie