[tcb] (no subject)

  • From: Sammie Smith <slsmith@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 15:09:23 -0600

Paul Smith/or anyone else on the list who knows the answer:
Which way does the door release handle rotate on the Type II 1960?  Here's
the problem:  Most of my experience is with the 63-67 splits and the door
release handle rotates counterclockwise on the driver's side and clockwise
on the passengers side, i.e., if are sitting in the driver's seat, turn to
face the driver's door handle, it is positioned at approximately the 2:00
o'clock position (assuming the handle has been put on correctly) and you
pull the handle rearward to open it turning the shaft
counterclockwise.  For the passenger it is the mirror image with the handle
at approximately the 10:00 position and you pull it rearward to open the
door, which means the shaft is rotating clockwise.

In the type I 56 to 66 it is just the opposite of the bus.  You still pull
the handle to open the door, but the handle is positioned at the 6:00
o'clock position.  In the 55 and earlier Type I it is the opposite of the
56 and later, i.e. you push the handle to open the door with the handle at
the 6:00 o'clock position.

Reason for the confusion:  I have a 60 split where, with the handle
positioned at 2:00 o'clock for driver and 10:00 for the passenger you pull
the driver's handle to open (correct I think but not sure for the 60) and
you push the passengers handle.  Now someone is really confused (me) or
someone has installed one of the door release shafts in upside down.  Which
wouldn't surprise me with some of the things that I have found that people
did to VWs.  I just want to put it back correct.  Where is the 60 with the
grooved handles supposed to have the handle positioned (2:00 drivers and
10:00 passengers I think) and are you supposed to pull or push the handle
to open the door?  I don't really think they are supposed to be opposite
like mine are now.
Sammie