[tcb] Re: motor discussion:

  • From: Will Wood <evilscientistboo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 10:45:39 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

Depending on what the stroke is, you'll have to clearance the case for the
counterweights.   This can be done with a feeler gauge and a dremel, or you can
have it done at a machine shop.  You can also buy cases already clearanced.  I
like the dremel method because you don't remove as much material.  As a general
rule, up to 82mm stroke cranks, any "off the shelf" cam will fit in the case
and clear the cam.  Above that, depending upon cam, crank, journal size
clearancing of the cam in a couple of spots is required to clear the
counterweights of the crank.  You can also get high dollar cases with the cam
tunnel moved down, more bucks.  When going with a stroker crank you'll also
have to consider short skirt (called "B") pistons.   The reason for this is
that when the piston is at BTDC, that it can clear the counterweights on the
crank.  You can also compensate with rod length, but this is where you start
getting into larger quantities of cash.  For example, the stock VW rod journal
is very "fat", most stroker combinations nowadays use Chevy 2" rod journals,
which are smaller and you have better availability of longer rod lengths.  I
grew up old school and always want the shortest rods I can run to maintain that
high torque value.
Short rods = higher Rod Angles = more torque.  Longer Rods = smaller rod angles
= less torque.   Higher Rod Angles put more side load stress on the rods etc.
All of this can add up quickly in terms of cost.