[tcb] Re: mike everet

  • From: Brian Denning <i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 19:57:27 -0500

buggy seats made it sit a bit lower than a factory bus seat. definately
corrected the tub problem. but, it was a pita to sell

Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 16:55:24 -0500
From: eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [tcb] Re: mike everet

I can't imagine how uncomfortable a tubbed bus would be for a 6'2" person.
I already have to slouch way over to see out of the windscreens.

sammie smith wrote:

I've heard that tubbing one stops that.  LOL!

From: i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 10:07:37 -0500

from all my readings it's looking more and more like fred will be getting
205/75r15's

i was going to do 215/75r15 but i really plan on going offroad with this thing
and the thought of the tires getting into those perfect rear fender lips just
kills me a bit inside.

after discussing with mike through email it was all coil overs, he says it
rides good, but again, after much reading i don't think i'd want to go that
route

205/75r14's are about 2" bigger than stock, that's what hershey now has on him
thanks to his new owner, and it looks bad ass. so that's what i shall do to
fred.

sucks, i wanted to raise him, but there's no good way of doing it without
getting alot of positive camber out back, which woudl make it a bit squirelly
on the highways.

Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 10:00:07 -0500
From: evil.scientist.boo@xxxxxxxxx
To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

The tires were a lot of it but the spring plates were cranked up quite a bit
too.

Too bad you  couldn't do an easy body lift on a bus like you can on a bug to
get more tire clearance.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre

Eric Woodall wrote:

..and Mike's bus isn't that much taller than stock.
Maybe about 2 inches, which was gained by tires.

w.wood wrote:
really?  Wow, I guess all those years of fixing up cut wheel wells didn't teach
me much about redux boxes then.     I don't know much about yours and it could
have been modified.  If you have 46mm axle nuts and you're planning to run big
tires I'd suggest getting a set from a 55-63 bus which have lower gearing for
the taller tires you sound like you'll need.  You could always cut the fender
wells out and go 60's retro with fiberglass fender flares.  That and a set of
air scoops would look totally mod for the new millennium.. ;-)

Also since presumably yours is a 58 you should read the crazy 8's thread on
thesamba before you make mods.  You may have something rare there.   I realize
under the rust you may be expecting Doubloons but I'd bet just rot..

Then again you could always get a Ford  chassis and put your bus on top of
that.  Wait, that's been done

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=358633&start=0

But at least you could get parts at the local ArkaCan O'Reilly's or Canada Tire
and keep it running.

The point I'm trying to make here Brian is that if you're going to modify a 51
year old bus you should think about the end game and the serviceability.  If
it's going to be something for fun then you want contemporary components that
are relatively easy to get.  I'll also get a *gasp* from that from a few folks
on here on that statement but if you've priced stock 1600 parts lately, the
ones that aren't made in Taiwan, then you'll know what I mean. Redux gear parts
aren't exactly being made by the bucket full anymore, neither are stub axles
for RGBs either.   If you want real fun, try buying Barndoor parts sometime..
So if you're committed to modify, go big or go home.  Don't try to modify 50
year old parts without expecting the requisite problems and pocket book gouge..

To illustrate the problem, after futzing around with a Type 3 this weekend, I'm
having it hauled to Doug's for some more work.. and that's for my kid for High
School..  Why?  After putting new heads on it, new tubes it wouldn't mate back
up to the transaxle.  After re-aligning the clutch 3 times to see if I could
get it to seat, I said "f* it."  But then again CB 044 heads, dual 44 IDFs and
a 1700 Kennedy may be fighting me somewhere but oh well...  It needs some other
things too, so might as well whip out the checkbook....

fix the z-bar.. new wheel cylinders.. oh well.

Right now I'm thinking Honda Accords look pretty damn good.   Maybe a Prius..
in Pink.. Naw, he's cadet commander in NJROTC and that'll be against the don't
ask don't drive a Prius policy.

On Mikes bus he went with some very tall tires and wound up denting the lower
portion of his dog legs and his rear rockers.  A lot of the height he gained
was by the tires as far as I recall.

On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 8:47 PM, Brian Denning <i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

will, i know i'm new to pre 67, but i'm pretty sure they all have redux. boxes
from the factory ;)

including both of mine

Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 20:15:17 -0400
From: evil.scientist.boo@xxxxxxxxx
To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

What???  This sounds like ArklaCan engineering here?

Get a set of redux boxes and tall tires, it'll go up high enough.  THe coil
overs from what I recall was in the front end.

On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 12:11 PM, Brian Denning <i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

the only raising busses thread is the one kevin did and i'm not gonna cut my
tranny hanger to do a 2" tranny drop

Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 08:18:23 -0700
From: bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Brian:  I have 2 phone #s for him:  Home 214-350-5373, cell 214-837-1379.  Will
not guarantee that those or good.  They are rather old and I haven't called him
in a long time.  If they do not work you might call Jack Wenk at Black Gold
Imports in Arlington and ask him either how Mike did it or how to get in touch
with Mike.  Phone # at Black Gold is 817-633-1135 I think.  I do know that Mike
did not do any major suspension modifications to his bus.  I think just coil
overs and larger tires.  There is also a thread on the samba about raising
busses.
Sammie