[tcb] Re: mike everet

  • From: "Will" <evil.scientist.boo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 14:34:40 -0500

You're running eagles then.  I had the bosses cut down as well.

I have a flat set of early EMPIs that don't have those.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre
Denis wrote:

I removed cleaned and replace the torsion bars
inside the beam, Andrew put my wheels on his mill and cut off about a 1/2"
inside at the lugs, and I raised my springplates just a little. I am running
185/60 15 tires. No rub no mo.

              From: i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx
To:
              tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:
              [tcb] Re: mike everet
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 10:07:37
              -0500

              from all my readings it's looking more and more like fred will be
              getting 205/75r15's

              i was going to do 215/75r15 but i really plan on going
              offroad with this thing and the thought of the tires getting into
              those perfect rear fender lips just kills me a bit inside.

              after discussing with mike through email it was all coil
              overs, he says it rides good, but again, after much reading i
              don't think i'd want to go that route

              205/75r14's are about 2" bigger than stock, that's what
              hershey now has on him thanks to his new owner, and it looks bad
              ass. so that's what i shall do to fred.

              sucks, i wanted to raise him, but there's no good way of
              doing it without getting alot of positive camber out back, which
              woudl make it a bit squirelly on the highways.

              Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 10:00:07 -0500
From: evil.scientist.boo@xxxxxxxxx
To:
              tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:
              [tcb] Re: mike everet

The tires
              were a lot of it but the spring plates were cranked up quite a
bit
              too.

Too bad you  couldn't do an easy body lift
              on a bus like you can on a bug to get more tire
              clearance.

              --
              Sent from my Palm Pre

              Eric Woodall wrote:

.and Mike's bus isn't that much taller
              than stock.
Maybe about 2 inches, which was gained by
              tires.

w.wood wrote:
              really?
                Wow, I guess all those years of fixing up cut wheel wells
didn't
                teach me much about redux boxes then.     I don't know
                much about yours and it could have been modified.  If you
                have 46mm axle nuts and you're planning to run big tires I'd
                suggest getting a set from a 55-63 bus which have lower gearing
                for the taller tires you sound like you'll need.  You could
                always cut the fender wells out and go 60's retro with
                fiberglass fender flares.  That and a set of air scoops
                would look totally mod for the new millennium.. ;-)

Also
                since presumably yours is a 58 you should read the crazy 8's
                thread on thesamba before you make mods.  You may have
                something rare there.   I realize under the rust you
                may be expecting Doubloons but I'd bet just rot..

Then
                again you could always get a Ford  chassis and put your bus
                on top of that.  Wait, that's been done

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=358633&amp;start=0

But
                at least you could get parts at the local ArkaCan O'Reilly's or
                Canada Tire and keep it running.

The point I'm trying to
                make here Brian is that if you're going to modify a 51 year old
                bus you should think about the end game and the
                serviceability.  If it's going to be something for fun then
                you want contemporary components that are relatively easy to
                get.  I'll also get a *gasp* from that from a few folks on
                here on that statement but if you've priced stock 1600 parts
                lately, the ones that aren't made in Taiwan, then you'll know
                what I mean. Redux gear parts aren't exactly being made by the
                bucket full anymore, neither are stub axles for RGBs
                either.   If you want real fun, try buying Barndoor
                parts sometime..   So if you're committed to modify,
                go big or go home.  Don't try to modify 50 year old parts
                without expecting the requisite problems and pocket book
                gouge..

To illustrate the problem, after futzing around
                with a Type 3 this weekend, I'm having it hauled to Doug's for
                some more work.. and that's for my kid for High School..
                Why?  After putting new heads on it, new tubes it wouldn't
                mate back up to the transaxle.  After re-aligning the
                clutch 3 times to see if I could get it to seat, I said "f*
                it."  But then again CB 044 heads, dual 44 IDFs and a 1700
                Kennedy may be fighting me somewhere but oh well...  It
                needs some other things too, so might as well whip out the
                checkbook....

fix the z-bar.. new wheel cylinders.. oh
                well.

Right now I'm thinking Honda Accords look pretty
                damn good.   Maybe a Prius.. in Pink.. Naw, he's cadet
                commander in NJROTC and that'll be against the don't ask don't
                drive a Prius policy.

On Mikes bus he
                went with some very tall tires and wound up denting the lower
                portion of his dog legs and his rear rockers.  A lot of the
                height he gained was by the tires as far as I
                recall.

                On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 8:47 PM,
                Brian Denning &lt;i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx>
                wrote:

                  will, i know i'm new to pre 67, but i'm pretty sure
                  they all have redux. boxes from the factory
                  ;)

including both of mine

                  Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 20:15:17 -0400
Subject: [tcb] Re:
                  mike everet
From: evil.scientist.boo@xxxxxxxxx
To:
                  tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

What???
                  This sounds like ArklaCan engineering here?

Get a set
                  of redux boxes and tall tires, it'll go up high enough.
                  THe coil overs from what I recall was in the front end.

                  On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 12:11 PM, Brian Denning
&lt;i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx>
                  wrote:

                    the only raising busses thread is the one kevin did and
                    i'm not gonna cut my tranny hanger to do a 2" tranny drop

                    Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 08:18:23 -0700
From: bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:
                    [tcb] Re: mike everet

To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

                          Brian:  I have 2 phone #s for him:
                          Home 214-350-5373, cell 214-837-1379.  Will not
                          guarantee that those or good.  They are rather
                          old and I haven't called him in a long time.  If
                          they do not work you might call Jack Wenk at Black
                          Gold Imports in Arlington and ask him either how Mike
                          did it or how to get in touch with Mike.  Phone #
                          at Black Gold is 817-633-1135 I think.  I do know
                          that Mike did not do any major suspension
                          modifications to his bus.  I think just coil
                          overs and larger tires.  There is also a thread
                          on the samba about raising busses.
                          Sammie

--- On Mon, 8/3/09, Brian
                          Denning &lt;i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx>
                          wrote:

From:
                            Brian Denning &lt;i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:
                            [tcb] mike everet
To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date:
                            Monday, August 3, 2009, 9:25 AM

                            anyone have any kind of email or samba name on
                            this guy??? mike hayes suggested i talk to him
about
                            how he got his bus raised using coil overs, would
                            like the same effect on the 58, or even better, any
                            of you know how i can get the bus up about an inch
                            without to much drastic work???

                            Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync. Check it
out.

                    Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync. Check
                    it out.

--
My Email Moniker

http://www.findinternettv.com/Video,item,1570570433.aspx

                  Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync. Check
                  it out.

--
My Email Moniker
http://www.findinternettv.com/Video,item,1570570433.aspx

              Express your personality in color! Preview and select themes for
              Hotmail®. Try
              it now.

              Get back to school stuff for them and cashback for you. Try Bing™
now.