[tcb] Re: mike everet

denis, for whatever reason i'm not getting your emails, but can look on the
freelists website, how many notches did you go?? inners or outers or a combo of
both?

Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 10:35:44 -0500
From: eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [tcb] Re: mike everet

Did you take the drop spindles off?

Seems like it was still lowered the last time I saw it (him) at the
Classic?

Denis wrote:

  I raised Murray using the springplates. I
have a little camber, but the tires are wearing smoothly. It may change
when you load the bus and get in it. Springplates are easy and if you
don't like it, you can put it back and it's free.

    -----
     From: i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx

To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 10:07:37 -0500

     from all my readings it's looking more and more like fred
will be getting 205/75r15's

    i was going to do 215/75r15 but i really plan on going offroad
with this thing and the thought of the tires getting into those perfect
rear fender lips just kills me a bit inside.

    after discussing with mike through email it was all coil
overs, he says it rides good, but again, after much reading i don't
think i'd want to go that route

    205/75r14's are about 2" bigger than stock, that's what
hershey now has on him thanks to his new owner, and it looks bad ass.
so that's what i shall do to fred.

    sucks, i wanted to raise him, but there's no good way of doing
it without getting alot of positive camber out back, which woudl make
it a bit squirelly on the highways.

     Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 10:00:07 -0500

From: evil.scientist.boo@xxxxxxxxx

To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

    The tires were a lot of it but the
spring plates were cranked up quite a bit too.

Too bad you  couldn't do an easy body lift on a bus like you can on a
bug to get more tire clearance.

    --
Sent from my Palm Pre

     Eric Woodall wrote:

..and Mike's bus isn't that much taller than stock.

Maybe about 2 inches, which was gained by tires.

w.wood wrote:
    really?
Wow, I guess all those years of fixing up cut wheel wells didn't teach
me much about redux boxes then.     I don't know much about yours and
it could have been modified.  If you have 46mm axle nuts and you're
planning to run big tires I'd suggest getting a set from a 55-63 bus
which have lower gearing for the taller tires you sound like you'll
need.  You could always cut the fender wells out and go 60's retro with
fiberglass fender flares.  That and a set of air scoops would look
totally mod for the new millennium.. ;-)

Also since presumably yours is a 58 you should read the crazy 8's
thread on thesamba before you make mods.  You may have something rare
there.   I realize under the rust you may be expecting Doubloons but
I'd bet just rot..

Then again you could always get a Ford  chassis and put your bus on top
of that.  Wait, that's been done

      http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=358633&start=0

But at least you could get parts at the local ArkaCan O'Reilly's or
Canada Tire and keep it running.

The point I'm trying to make here Brian is that if you're going to
modify a 51 year old bus you should think about the end game and the
serviceability.  If it's going to be something for fun then you want
contemporary components that are relatively easy to get.  I'll also get
a *gasp* from that from a few folks on here on that statement but if
you've priced stock 1600 parts lately, the ones that aren't made in
Taiwan, then you'll know what I mean. Redux gear parts aren't exactly
being made by the bucket full anymore, neither are stub axles for RGBs
either.   If you want real fun, try buying Barndoor parts sometime..
So if you're committed to modify, go big or go home.  Don't try to
modify 50 year old parts without expecting the requisite problems and
pocket book gouge..

To illustrate the problem, after futzing around with a Type 3 this
weekend, I'm having it hauled to Doug's for some more work.. and that's
for my kid for High School..  Why?  After putting new heads on it, new
tubes it wouldn't mate back up to the transaxle.  After re-aligning the
clutch 3 times to see if I could get it to seat, I said "f* it."  But
then again CB 044 heads, dual 44 IDFs and a 1700 Kennedy may be
fighting me somewhere but oh well...  It needs some other things too,
so might as well whip out the checkbook....

fix the z-bar.. new wheel cylinders.. oh well.

Right now I'm thinking Honda Accords look pretty damn good.   Maybe a
Prius.. in Pink.. Naw, he's cadet commander in NJROTC and that'll be
against the don't ask don't drive a Prius policy.

On Mikes bus he went with some very tall tires and wound up denting the
lower portion of his dog legs and his rear rockers.  A lot of the
height he gained was by the tires as far as I recall.

      On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 8:47 PM,
Brian Denning <i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

        will, i know i'm new to pre 67, but i'm pretty sure they
all have redux. boxes from the factory ;)

including both of mine

         Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 20:15:17 -0400

From: evil.scientist.boo@xxxxxxxxx

To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

What???  This sounds like ArklaCan engineering here?

Get a set of redux boxes and tall tires, it'll go up high enough.  THe
coil overs from what I recall was in the front end.

        On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 12:11 PM, Brian Denning
<i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

          the only raising busses thread is the one kevin did and
i'm not gonna cut my tranny hanger to do a 2" tranny drop

           Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 08:18:23 -0700

From: bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

                Brian:  I have 2 phone #s for him:  Home
214-350-5373, cell 214-837-1379.  Will not guarantee that those or
good.  They are rather old and I haven't called him in a long time.  If
they do not work you might call Jack Wenk at Black Gold Imports in
Arlington and ask him either how Mike did it or how to get in touch
with Mike.  Phone # at Black Gold is 817-633-1135 I think.  I do know
that Mike did not do any major suspension modifications to his bus.  I
think just coil overs and larger tires.  There is also a thread on the
samba about raising busses.
                Sammie

--- On Mon, 8/3/09, Brian Denning <i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx>

From: Brian Denning <i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Subject: [tcb] mike everet

To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Date: Monday, August 3, 2009, 9:25 AM

                  anyone have any kind of email or samba name on
this guy??? mike hayes suggested i talk to him about how he got his bus
raised using coil overs, would like the same effect on the 58, or even
better, any of you know how i can get the bus up about an inch without
to much drastic work???

           Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync. Check
it out.

--

My Email Moniker

        http://www.findinternettv.com/Video,item,1570570433.aspx

         Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync. Check
it out.

--

My Email Moniker

      http://www.findinternettv.com/Video,item,1570570433.aspx

     Express your personality in color! Preview and select themes
for Hotmail®. Try
it now.

     Get back to school stuff for them and cashback for you. Try Bing™ now.

Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync.
http://windowslive.com/explore?ocid=PID23384::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:NF_BR_sync:082009