[tcb] Re: engine/clutch

  • From: sammie smith <bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2007 17:22:26 -0800 (PST)

OK Denis, I do and don't have an answer on the clutch/input shaft problem.  I
had to call my resident tranny guru.  There are not different input shafts on
vw trannies.  They are the same.  Which means if your disc fit on the old one
it should have fit on the new one.  However, the splines on the old disc could
have gotten buggered up somehow in the process of either removing or
reinstalling the engine.  But; if a cluthch disc fits on one input shaft it
should fit on all of them.  One exception; some tranny builders will cad plate
tranny parts, including the input shaft, which makes the disc splines a tight
fit because of the cad platting.   So I don't have an answer other than the
female splines on the old clutch disc had to have somehow got messed up.
Again, according to my guru, all input shafts are the same diameter with the
same splines.

sammie smith <bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:  Whew!  I don't have an
answer on the clutch Denis, but I'm going to try to find out.  I did learn from
experience though to always check before installing engine that the clutch disc
will slide with ease over the mainshaft, but I just always assumed that when
they didn't that it was a fouled up manufacture of the clutch disc.  Also
(hindsight is 20/20) but when they have been in any length of time, when you
have the engine out always replace the mainseal and the clutch disc, and
probably the pressure plate.  There is too friggin much labor involved to go
back with questionable parts, particularly when they don't cost much.  And Type
II splitties are notorious for eating up clutch discs.