[tcb] electrical issues

  • From: "Brian Denning" <i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 11:53:20 -0500

so i was telling will this saturday night. and he laughs because evidently all bays are crazy like this but i thought i would share th story

hershey has had an eletcrical problem for a while now. everytime you hit a bump he dies. then i reach down and tap the fuse panel a couple of times and he fires back up lets out a big BOOOM!!! and we're off again.

well due to the p/o's p/o there has been some crazy engineering done to the electrical system. fuses used as clamps to hold wires in place so...i decided it is time to clean up the rats nest. so i pulled the fuse panel out...which was held in place by two zip ties. and went to work, constantly check my bently diagrams. i get it all cleaned up looks beautiful under the dash wires tied up and secure taped together so they don't dangle and bind in other parts of the bus (windshield wiper motor in particular). looks really good. so i hook up the battery and the damn parking lights come on. the switch isn't on but the lights are on. ok i can address that i will just get out the test light. well i have juice to a wire that should only have juice when the switch is on. can't figure it out. well i can fix that later lets see if she starts, and see if the loose connection problem is taken care of. i turn the key on, nothing, no lights, no sounds, nothing.hmmm.... lets see if the headlight switch will turn on the headlights. WTF?!?! now i have dash lights such as the oil preassure light and the battery light. and it starts up. i turn off the lights and the motor dies.

wierd...i know. so i pull the column again, pull the fuse panel again, and pull the light switch. hmmm. i hook the battery up and nothing no lights. i turn the lights on and nothing, no lights. but i hear a bit of a noise commign from the dash every time i touch the column. AHH HA!!! the positive wire that goes from the solenoid to the light switch was loose the entire time and that is what was causing the damn thing to die when i flash my lights to signal truckers over. well problem was fixed on friday and today, maybe, i will button everything up and start working on heater cables.

it's absolutely amazing that a wire going to the light switch would cause the damn thing to die and not run sometimes as well.

thank god for the bently book that helped me out 100%

Get FREE company branded e-mail accounts and business Web site from Microsoft Office Live http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/mcrssaub0050001411mrt/direct/01/