[tcb] Re: caroline the fabubus update

  • From: Dan Martin <danandkatrinamartin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 15:53:48 -0600

I can see wanting to keep the T4 if you can. You should be able to find good "core" heads. I think any real machine shop can do a good job if they try, and it sounds like you have that covered. If they are willing to guarantee their work you are golden. I know all about the "get-up-and-go upright" you are talking about. I have built it a hundred times in my head, driving around a "stock" engined bus.

So many options......

On Nov 28, 2005, at 3:39 PM, Brian Denning wrote:

aircooled.net sells a fiberglass piece that will make a type 1 fit and look factory. i have considered that from day 1. however a part of me wants to keep it as stock as possible. i have found a 1.7 head that is good and have a friend who does machine work and that is my current option. for 50 a head he can bore it and rebuild it. the 1.7 head will set me back another 75. still a lot cheaper than going out and buying either a new motor or new heads and they will be like new. this friend garuntees all repairs. he says he is not going to have to pay for a t4 motor so he will definately do it right. perhaps this is a good option. but if all else fails i have a 1600 dual port in my shop that is looking more and more like what i will use it just needs a complete overhaul. i guess i could drop in the money and make i nice get-up-and-go upright. i don't know, like i said i am still weighing out my options.

From: Dan Martin <danandkatrinamartin@xxxxxxx>
To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [tcb] Re: caroline the fabubus update
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 15:22:28 -0600

There is OE tin in europe and south america, late model buses with T1 engines are common, just not imported to the U.S..
There is a known defect in the T4 head design. The seats have been falling out of the heads from day one. My father killed the last of his 3 buses, a 74 or 75 when the exhaust valve seat fell out of the number 3 cylinder. He was so proud of the "porsche" motor he had in his new bus, it died at 18 thousand miles. I think there a couple people around who have them figured out, Jake Raby comes to mind.I would think Derik at Way Out might know of a good shop closer to you guys. But I don't think there is any cheap and easy around a full blown head redo at a professional (expensive and increasingly rare) machine shop that know how to work on the T4 head. I feel your pain, but I guess that is the price you pay for all that extra speed and power the T4 gives you.

On Nov 28, 2005, at 2:48 PM, Mark Sawyer wrote:

I have seen many people put a T1 engine in a late model bay window. You just have to fabricate the sheet metal to seal it in.

Brian Denning <i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
ok so everyone is always giving me a hard time about ol' caroline. well here
is a new one for you. i know robb and neil already know about this one. so i
was driving 2 thursdays ago and well i get about half way to work (20 miles)
and she starts to make a loud noise. well ok pull over and assess the
problem. can't really find a problem so i call andrew barnes. wake his poor
butt up and say can you diagnose this over the phone. well we were both
close on the assessment. sounded like a blown manifold gasket. so i pull out
the manifold and replace the gasket and put it all back together. tightened
the head bolts while i had it apart none were loose just went over them all
just in case per request from andrew. i started it up and well it sounded
just the same. ok so i bring in some backup and well we decide that it is
possibly a blown he ad gasket (wtf) so we pull the head off and well not
good. it wasn't exactly a head gasket. evidently there was a fracture or
something in the head that wasn't seen before. and well i blew a hole in the
head about a 1/4" long and about 1/8" deep right next to where the spark
blug would be. now this head has given me problems before so now i am just
about to sell her for a beetle. but i took a breather and now i am in search
of one more 1.7 head so i can send both of them off and have them bored out.
i have been told that they are more durable then the 2.0, the valve size is
the same, and the one that i have is round port and so i need one more and
then i send them off to be bored and have new valves put on.

yea denis i know i am yet again in t4 hell. and the funny thing about it the
beginning of the week before thanksgiving i was going to make a post that i
was in t4 heaven.

i am starting to think the late bays were put together with spare parts
layin around.

Mark Sawyer 92 Cabriolet--"Abby" 84 Vanagon Westy--"Roxanne" 70 Karmann Ghia Vert--"Dorothy" (soon to be running) 70 Type 1 Vert--"Vern" (still in pieces) 69 Type 3 Fastback--"Earnest" (also in pieces) Texas Coalition of Busses (TCB) North Houston VW Club (NHVWC) Huntsville Organization of Busses (HOBO)

Don’t just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search! http:// search.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200636ave/direct/01/