[tcb] Re: caroline the fabubus update

  • From: "Brian Denning" <i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 14:32:06 -0600

evidently the payload has changed between 73 and 79 or something. either way i see why they are called fat chicks.

dan, why does it sometimes take like an hour for messages to work? just wondering on that. maybe it is my connection

From: "Brian Denning" <i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [tcb] Re: caroline the fabubus update
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 11:56:21 -0600

the bus itself weighs 3141lbs and it can haul up to 1885lbs

this is based on the 1973 bus with a 1.7 in it. it says top speed 78 miles an hour but for some reason in 77 they lowerd that top speed to 75. to be honest with you i won't go over 65 in mine and currently i won't even go that fast ;-)

From: Sammie Smith <slsmith@xxxxxxxxx>
To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 10:33:47 -0600

After 1967 I plead ignorance to anything volkswagen. I don't know nuthin bout no bay windows.
Sammie

At 10:19 AM 11/29/2005, you wrote:
I should also add in the weight of my fat ass. (Insert joke here).

Sammie what is the load capacity for a bay? Would it be less, since the engine is the same but the rig itself weighs more?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Sammie Smith" <slsmith@xxxxxxxxx> To: <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Tuesday, November 29, 2005 9:17 AM Subject: [tcb] Re: caroline the fabubus update

The factory manual says the load carrying capacity on the split window (double cab-single cab-panel truck etc) is approximately 1,875 pounds, depending on which truck etc. Basically the splitty is a one-ton truck.
Sammie

1440lbs? wow that is like how much more a bay weighs isn't it?

From: "Denis Dodson" <coocoo@xxxxxxx>
To: <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 18:56:28 -0600

Hi everybody. Poor Caroline. I think that you are traveling in the land of "if". Not quite T4 hell yet. If you can find a decent head, and if you can find a machine shop to do a decent job and if you can install and adjust everything correctly you should dance with the engine what brung ya. The cost and trouble of replacing your engine with any other setup will truly put you into Hell, with a capital H . Jeez, if you are going to lose your mind and all your money doing a swap, put in the Subaru, or whatever the waterboxer swap is.

I Have a 1914 and I was real specific that it be a strong motor as opposed to a fast motor. A stroke combined with machined 88s. I say this because I guess it would be considered a "get up and go". I can go 70 and I can carry 18 80 lb bags of cement (1440 lbs), but I don't think you would be happy with the speed or quickness of a type 1 after driving a T4. Dan zooms pretty good in Homer, but I'm always surprised that a T1 can push around the weight of a Bay.

Talk to Derek at Way Out about the heads.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Trey Jung" <Trey.Jung@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Dan Martin <danandkatrinamartin@xxxxxxx>
To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 15:22:28 -0600

There is OE tin in europe and south america, late model buses with
T1  engines are common, just not imported to the U.S..
There is a known defect in the T4 head design. The seats have been
falling out of the heads from day one. My father killed the last of
his 3 buses, a 74 or 75 when the exhaust valve seat fell out of the
number 3 cylinder. He was so proud of the "porsche"
motor he had in  his new bus, it died at 18 thousand miles. I think
there a couple  people around who have them figured out, Jake Raby
comes to mind.I  would think Derik at Way Out might know of a good
shop closer to you  guys. But I don't think there is any cheap and
easy around a full  blown head redo at a professional (expensive and
increasingly rare)  machine shop that know how to work on the T4
head. I feel your pain,  but I guess that is the price you pay for
all that extra speed and  power the T4 gives you.

On Nov 28, 2005, at 2:48 PM, Mark Sawyer wrote:

I have seen many people put a T1 engine in a late model bay window.

You just have to fabricate the sheet metal to seal it in.

Brian Denning <i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
ok so everyone is always giving me a hard time about ol'
caroline. well here
is a new one for you. i know robb and neil already know about this
one. so i was driving 2 thursdays ago and well i get about half way
to work (20 miles) and she starts to make a loud noise. well ok
pull over and assess the problem. can't really find a problem so i
call andrew barnes.
wake his poor
butt up and say can you diagnose this over the phone. well we were
both close on the assessment. sounded like a blown manifold gasket.
so i pull out the manifold and replace the gasket and put it all
back together. tightened the head bolts while i had it apart none
were loose just went over them all just in case per request from
andrew. i started it up and well it sounded just the same. ok so i
bring in some backup and well we decide that it is
possibly a blown he ad gasket (wtf) so we pull the head off and
well not
good. it wasn't exactly a head gasket. evidently there was a
fracture or
something in the head that wasn't seen before. and well i blew a
hole in the
head about a 1/4" long and about 1/8" deep right next to where the
spark blug would be. now this head has given me problems before so
now i am just about to sell her for a beetle. but i took a breather

and now i am  in search of one more 1.7 head so i can send both of
them off and have them  bored out.
i have been told that they are more durable then the 2.0, the valve

size is the same, and the one that i have is round port and so i
need one  more and then i send them off to be bored and have new
valves put on.

yea denis i know i am yet again in t4 hell. and the funny thing
about it the
beginning of the week before thanksgiving i was going to make a
post that i
was in t4 heaven.

i am starting to think the late bays were put together with spare
parts layin around.

Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today -
it's FREE!

Mark Sawyer 92 Cabriolet--"Abby" 84 Vanagon Westy--"Roxanne" 70 Karmann Ghia Vert--"Dorothy" (soon to be running) 70 Type 1 Vert--"Vern" (still in pieces) 69 Type 3 Fastback--"Earnest" (also in pieces) Texas Coalition of Busses (TCB) North Houston VW Club (NHVWC) Huntsville Organization of Busses (HOBO)

_________________________________________________________________ Don't just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search! http:// search.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200636ave/direct/01/