[tcb] Re: caroline the fabubus update

  • From: Mark Sawyer <mechmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 12:48:00 -0800 (PST)

I have seen many people put a T1 engine in a late model bay window. You just
have to fabricate the sheet metal to seal it in.

Brian Denning <i_am_cool_fred@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:ok so everyone is always
giving me a hard time about ol' caroline. well here
is a new one for you. i know robb and neil already know about this one. so i
was driving 2 thursdays ago and well i get about half way to work (20 miles)
and she starts to make a loud noise. well ok pull over and assess the
problem. can't really find a problem so i call andrew barnes. wake his poor
butt up and say can you diagnose this over the phone. well we were both
close on the assessment. sounded like a blown manifold gasket. so i pull out
the manifold and replace the gasket and put it all back together. tightened
the head bolts while i had it apart none were loose just went over them all
just in case per request from andrew. i started it up and well it sounded
just the same. ok so i bring in some backup and well we decide that it is
possibly a blown head gasket (wtf) so we pull the head off and well not
good. it wasn't exactly a head gasket. evidently there was a fracture or
something in the head that wasn't seen before. and well i blew a hole in the
head about a 1/4" long and about 1/8" deep right next to where the spark
blug would be. now this head has given me problems before so now i am just
about to sell her for a beetle. but i took a breather and now i am in search
of one more 1.7 head so i can send both of them off and have them bored out.
i have been told that they are more durable then the 2.0, the valve size is
the same, and the one that i have is round port and so i need one more and
then i send them off to be bored and have new valves put on.

yea denis i know i am yet again in t4 hell. and the funny thing about it the
beginning of the week before thanksgiving i was going to make a post that i
was in t4 heaven.

i am starting to think the late bays were put together with spare parts
layin around.

Mark Sawyer
92 Cabriolet--"Abby"
84 Vanagon Westy--"Roxanne"
70 Karmann Ghia Vert--"Dorothy" (soon to be running)
70 Type 1 Vert--"Vern" (still in pieces)
69 Type 3 Fastback--"Earnest" (also in pieces)
Texas Coalition of Busses (TCB)
North Houston VW Club (NHVWC)
Huntsville Organization of Busses (HOBO)