[tcb] Re: automatic 67

  • From: "Denis" <coocoo@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 16:41:14 -0600

I have a '68 Ghia autostick,automatic, whatever. The only difference is that it has no clutch, well, it does, but it is electrical and is engaged whenever you touch the shifter. The driver still has to move the shifter through the gears. There are three forward and reverse. The first gear is low, and will give a little more acceleration from the dead stop, but it is possible to go from a standing start in second, it is just slow. That is most people's complaint- the acceleration is really slow. Once you are into third you can go 70 or so, but it takes a while to get there.

My wife refused to learn a stick, but is still not so happy with this, since you still have to go through gears, just no clutch pedal.

You can't soup up the engine too much because this uses a torque converter and has a tiny clutch plate that will just burn up with too much stress.