[tcb] Re: alternator problems in the bug

  • From: Mark Sawyer <mechmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 05:37:28 -0700 (PDT)

I would check the cooling fan in the doghouse to make sure the hub hasn't
cracked. Take the belt off and start the engine to make sure the noise is in
the alternator.

Shelby Shook <sloweyefasthand@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:    I'm pretty sure I know
what's wrong but I don't know exactly how to fix it. When you start up the bug
you can hear a clanking noise in the alternator like it's hitting something on
the inside. I took the front half of the pulley off but can't get the back off
to look inside. I think the alternator isn't gapped correctly cuz I remember
when dad put it on previously it was rubbing on stuff. He took it off and
gapped it again and it stopped rubbing on stuff. I'd like to try and fix this
myself cuz I know it's probably an easy fix. Any help or suggestions would be
greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!

  -Shelby