[tcb] Re: Wussing Out of Jerome

  • From: Neil McGlothin <nbmdude@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 23:36:57 -0700 (PDT)

Dang, thats a good idea!

--- Sammie Smith <slsmith@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Quick check on engine oil temp can be made with a
> food thermometer.  Buy at
> Wally World or similar store.  Shut engine down,
> pull dip stick, stick in
> cooking thermometer.  Gives an accurate reading on
> oil temp.  Cost is about
> $5-$6.
> Sammie
>
> At 11:14 AM 9/7/2005, you wrote:
> >I am officially wussing out of Jerome.
> >
> >I was thinking of going to the Bug Swarm show in
> Dallas in the bug if I get
> >the shocks on it (have to order a set -- anybody
> know where to find OIL
> >FILLED shocks for a lowered bug? ASK in Houston has
> lowered KYB GR2 shocks
> >but I'm not sure I'll like the stiffness). But, I
> just spoke to my cousin
> >and there's been another death in the family. An
> aunt (by marriage) in
> >Austin. I may head over there to support my uncle
> as it was a VERY
> >unexpected death. I'm still waiting for details.
> The rest of my aunts and
> >uncles that can have already headed up there.
> >
> >Also,
> >
> >I'm still not comfortable with how hot the Rivi
> "feels". I'm going today
> >to:
> >
> >Transfer the new bug title
> >
> >Register the new bug
> >
> >Hit a speed shop and buy:
> >
> >A) Direct mount mech oil pressure guage
> >B) Fuel pressure guage
> >C) IR trigger thermometer
> >
> >Short runs in town and sitting at idle seem OK. But
> I ran to get some food
> >the other night while I had a trailer full of dad's
> stuff hooked to the
> >truck and after the 10 miles each way with a short
> shutdown to go in and
> >get the food the engine "smelled" hot and the
> engine bay door felt hot
> >(but, the muffler *IS* right under it). I was too
> tired to trust trying the
> >touch test on the dipstick. After spending 6 hours
> >I was literally about to fall over.
> >
> >The CHT hit 400+ on that drive. BUT!!! I don't
> trust the CHT. It *NEVER*
> >goes under 150 and when I got back in the Rivi last
> night to run to a
> >(closer this time) burger joint the CHT was sitting
> at 350 when I got in.
> >It dropped to 150 when I tapped on it.
> >
> >So, I'm going to get the instruments I need to get
> accurate MECHANICAL
> >readings rather than relying on the information
> transmitted to an
> >electrical guage through 15+ feet of wire.
> >
> >Any other suggestions for shop meters for testing
> engine health?
> >
> >G2

"The answer is never the answer. What's really interesting is the mystery. If
you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you'll always be seeking. I've
never seen anybody really find the answer-- they think they have, so they stop
thinking. But the job is to seek mystery, evoke mystery, plant a garden in
which strange plants grow and mysteries bloom. The need for mystery is greater
than the need for an answer."

-- Ken Kesey