[tcb] Re: Wussing Out of Jerome

  • From: Sammie Smith <slsmith@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 11:37:31 -0500

Quick check on engine oil temp can be made with a food thermometer. Buy at Wally World or similar store. Shut engine down, pull dip stick, stick in cooking thermometer. Gives an accurate reading on oil temp. Cost is about $5-$6.
Sammie

At 11:14 AM 9/7/2005, you wrote:

I am officially wussing out of Jerome.

I was thinking of going to the Bug Swarm show in Dallas in the bug if I get
the shocks on it (have to order a set -- anybody know where to find OIL
FILLED shocks for a lowered bug? ASK in Houston has lowered KYB GR2 shocks
but I'm not sure I'll like the stiffness). But, I just spoke to my cousin
and there's been another death in the family. An aunt (by marriage) in
Austin. I may head over there to support my uncle as it was a VERY
unexpected death. I'm still waiting for details. The rest of my aunts and
uncles that can have already headed up there.

Also,

I'm still not comfortable with how hot the Rivi "feels". I'm going today
to:

Transfer the new bug title

Register the new bug

Hit a speed shop and buy:

A) Direct mount mech oil pressure guage
B) Fuel pressure guage
C) IR trigger thermometer

Short runs in town and sitting at idle seem OK. But I ran to get some food
the other night while I had a trailer full of dad's stuff hooked to the
truck and after the 10 miles each way with a short shutdown to go in and
get the food the engine "smelled" hot and the engine bay door felt hot
(but, the muffler *IS* right under it). I was too tired to trust trying the
touch test on the dipstick. After spending 6 hours loading furniture alone
I was literally about to fall over.

The CHT hit 400+ on that drive. BUT!!! I don't trust the CHT. It *NEVER*
goes under 150 and when I got back in the Rivi last night to run to a
(closer this time) burger joint the CHT was sitting at 350 when I got in.
It dropped to 150 when I tapped on it.

So, I'm going to get the instruments I need to get accurate MECHANICAL
readings rather than relying on the information transmitted to an
electrical guage through 15+ feet of wire.

Any other suggestions for shop meters for testing engine health?

G2