[tcb] Re: Why?

  • From: Mike Hayes <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 06:45:35 -0500

 Ditto on the electronic ignition!  I run it in all my cars.

David has a point with the idle jet. Although he drilled his out it might have been clogged and drilling it out just unclogged it. I had 2 brand new 34's pict carbs and they both did the same thing as yours. Turns out both idle juts were clogged with manufacturing trash.

Mike

On 9/19/2010 8:25 PM, Julie wrote:
Why have a distributor with points? Why worry about a gap and have to concern yourself with timing?

I love my '71 and his electronic ignition and no points and timing that stays right on and his simple 30/31 pict carb. That's all I can handle.

The '68 drove great on his first 3 short test drives but now he won't idle. I looked for intake leaks and cleaned out jets, adjusted his 34 pict carb and then switched to another 34 pict carb and adjusted points and timing and after all of this no change, still no idle, foot off gas and he dies. (I now know that I should have started with the points and timing first but my excuse is that I never had to deal with them before.) All of this fiddling around and no change.

Some friends are coming over next Saturday to help me because I can't figure it out. I might just go buy myself another distributor (one with no points) and I'm half tempted to get a 30/31 carb so it will be easier for me to handle.

Ok now this might be a ridiculous question but is there a possibility that my idle problem could be connected to my bad ignition. When I start the Bus the key does not come back to the run position, I have to carefully move it out of the start postion. I bought the stuff to fix the problem but it sounds like a tough job and add to it that this Bus has crazy wiring so I haven't yet mustered up the courage to try to fix it.

(Everything on this engine is new except for the generator.)

Thanks for any advice,

Julie