[tcb] Re: What's the long lost history of your bus?

  • From: Ronnie Hughes <fracdogii@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 11:10:23 -0700 (PDT)

Flash - my silver Vanagon doesn't have a long history since it is only 20 years
old.  However, I do know it's history from the beginning.

  Flash was purchased by a member of the Canadian air force.  He and his wife
took the European delivery and picked the van in Germany.  They traveled the
countryside for a while then had it shipped to Canada.  Since he an old
military guy, he had the entire underside and engine compartment coated with
cosmoline (army guys used to coat their guns so they wouldn't rust when they
were crossing rivers, etc.) before it was put on the boat.

  Fast forward to October 29, 1993.  The old miltary couple was having
breakfast at a resturant in Maine and happened to sit next to a couple from New
Hampshire, Lewis Royal and wife.  Lewis overheard them discussing selling their
van and buying an RV.  The deal was made on the spot and the van never went
back to Canada.  Just stayed in the States and was never legally imported.
26,775 miles - 4,465 miles/year.

  The next 12 years Flash made a summer trip each year and then was parked in
the garage in the summer home of the Royals in New Hampshire.

  November 18, 2005 - 42,919 later or 3,577 miles/year, I bought Flash, had it
serviced and drove back to Houston from Concord, NH.

  Today, Flash has 101,250 miles on it. 31,556 miles in less than two years -
18,000 miles/year.  Two trips to California, a trip to Illinois, the trip home
from New Hampshire, Oklahoma, various weekend adventures.

  To this day there is not one spot of rust anywhere on the body or
undercarriage.  I still have to scrap the cosmoline off fittings & bolts to
work on the van.

  As far as music, I have XM radio and let the DJ pick the music.  Normally set
on Channel 7 - the seventies, or Watercolors - smooth jazz or XMU/Starbucks
station - new age & Indie.

  I know more info than you wanted.

  Ronnie

 Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.