[tcb] Re: What we do for our busses

  • From: Julie <julie.hey.ho.lets.go@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 23:35:47 -0500

Are you sure you need a tranny?  A little while after I got the '68 running, he
had shifting problems and could make some scary growling noises.  My mechanic
fiddled with him and the shifting sort of improved but the growling got worse.
It wouldn't happen until after driving a good number of miles.  The mechanic
and many others jumped right to "It's time for a new tranny.  Growling means
new tranny, duh Julie!". So I bought a core and brought it to Austin's finest
tranny guy and waited and waited for it to be built and then handed over a
heavy chunk of change and brought the new tranny home.

A friend was over and took the '68 for a spin and said, let's start with the
throw out bearing and we did and in the process of replacing that we found that
the little bearings where either missing or royally chewed up in the flywheel
nut. So we replaced that a no more growling.  But I must admit that the '68 has
yet to become a daily driver because of his electrical quirks, but he has gone
a few thousand miles, I still suppose the growling could make a comeback.

But at this point I figure the '71 will get the new tranny before the '68.

My 2 cents which probably isn't worth much,

Julie