[tcb] Re: What size engine for the '59?

  • From: "w.wood" <evil.scientist.boo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 11:28:13 -0400

That depends upon what model you have etc.  If you have a small nut redux
box transaxle there are many possibilities.

http://sandlizrd.baja.com/gears.htm

With stock 1.40:1 redux boxes for a 36HP and a 4:37 R&P you have a 6.125
final drive ratio.  With a .79 fourth gear (taller than the bug!) you have a
4.84 final drive.

Assuming a 195/75/15 tire and using the handy calculator here..
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

That gives you a circumference of 83.3 inches or 761 revolutions/mile.
Assuming 60 MPH is the target speed
761 * 4.84 = 3683 RPM.  Rough calculations indicate that 70MPH is 888
Revs/minute with those tires so
that comes out to be rougly 4300 RPM.  That's a bit of a pounding on the
engine for a stock ACVW.

If you go with big nut reduction boxes your final drive drops to 4.51 which
gives you 3432 RPM and 4004 RPM respectively.  Going with a 4.12 R&P drops
that further as would a 3.88 R&P.

Net, Net, if you're going with a 1600 you should go with what VW recommended
with RGBs and that's the 4.12 and the 1.26 RGB gear ratio.  If you're above
an 1600cc, like a 1776, I'd go with the 3.88 R&P with RGBs but beyond that
you're just wasting engine power if you go bigger.

--
My Email Moniker
http://www.findinternettv.com/Video,item,1570570433.aspx