[tcb] Re: What size engine for the '59?

  • From: sammie smith <bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 07:53:41 -0700 (PDT)

Ok, you have an early 59 which is correct with the standard 36hp and split case
tranny.  My panel van is a relatively early 60 model, build date 12/04/59 which
has the stock tunnel case: essentially the same gearing as your split case
except the tunnel has a synchro first gear, and I am running a stock facory
replacement engine for the bastard 40.  So essentially I have the same
horsepower and gearing that you have.  It drives nice, is original, is a blast
to drive around town, and nice to do cruises like in Fredericksburg.  However,
it ain't no highway cruiser and I wouldn't want to drive it on a super long
drive, like a couple of hundred miles, and it will never be on a freeway.  Top
speed about 56-57, accelerates like a turtle, and you do lots of rowing with
gear shift lever when in hills.

If you want a fast highway cruiser you need to do something like what Paul or
Denis have.

It just depends on what you want:  Original, sled ride, go slow, go fast, etc.

From: sammie smith <bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tuesday, September 8, 2009, 9:35 PM

What's the build date and/or vin on the 59?  Later 59s had the "bastard" 40
though still were actually only 36hp.  If the bus had the split case tranny
originally it is a pre-bastard 59 and has the standard 36hp engine.  A 36 with
a split case tranny is only gonna max out speed at about 55.  Not for driving
on the highway unless you plan on cruising no more than 50.  If you go to a
much bigger engine you are probably going to have to go to a later big nut
tranny to get much benefit out of it in the way of cruising speed.