[tcb] Re: What size engine for the '59?

  • From: sammie smith <bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 07:45:41 -0700 (PDT)

VW had split case trannys in busses through mid-year 59 then went to the tunnel
case.  Both have "lower" gearing for the lack of horsepower  In early model
year 64 when they came out with the big nut tranny.  The big nut tranny (46mm
axle nut vs 36mm) has a "higher" gearing for the larger engines which came out
about the same time.  1500cc 50 hp.  The problem with a big engine in a small
nut tranny is that the tranny is not geared for the higher horsepower at what
you would consider normal cruising speed.  To go 65 with a small nut tranny and
stock gearing you are screaming the heck out of the engine, probably somewhere
in the neighborhood of 4,000 rpm to go 65.  So what most people do with a big
engine is put in a big nut tranny with something more like a 3.88 R&P.

There is tons of stuff on big engines and different transmissions on the Samba.

From: wuzmop@xxxxxxx <wuzmop@xxxxxxx>
To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wednesday, September 9, 2009, 6:29 AM

My 1600 dp with big nut tranny can cruise 65 pretty easily. I can do 70 if I
have to, but it wouldn't look anywhere near stock in the 59.

From: singlecabboy <sealingwaxred@xxxxxxxxx>
To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tuesday, September 8, 2009, 9:24 PM

James ,I run a 1641 in my single cab,dual kadrons,110 engle cam .I don't
believe in high compression street engines , and no reduction gears , 3600 is
about what I run all day long.70,75,even 80mph is not a problem,but not
recommended.It,s duel port. Sammie says stock lol, Sammie I had to ans were for
you.
Paul Smith

  2009 Zone Tour 1999-2009 ,10 years of Trucking

H.B.B
T.C.B
Transporters at the Point 6  October 9,10,and 11, 2009"Love all,trust a few,Do
wrong to none"